Advice & Guidance

Structural Engineers

Structural Engineer Naomi CrossFor certain projects, you may require the advice of a structural engineer. As with architects and building surveyors, not all engineers have experience of dealing with historic structures. In most cases, your architect or surveyor will be able to suggest a suitable engineer to approach but you may also wish to consult the Conservation Accreditation Register for Engineers (CARE).

The Register has been established jointly by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) to identify engineers skilled in the conservation of historic sites. Sites may be buildings, bridges, harbours, riverbanks, canals, industrial sites or natural landscapes. 

All the engineers on the register have had to submit a statement of their conservation philosophy, a record of their continuing professional development plus details of five case studies. These are scrutinized by a panel of three assessors to ensure that those applying to the register have the appropriate levels of skill and experience.

© SPAB 2010